Proseminar: „Selected Topics in the Economics of Risk and Uncertainty"
Prof. Dr. Aihua Zhang
Dipl.-Math. Richard Peter
Course Description & Main Objectives
The proseminar targets to familiarize the participants with the most recent developments in the economics of risk and uncertainty. Among other things it covers the topics ambiguity and ambiguity aversion, hyperbolic discounting and higher order risk attitudes. From a methodological viewpoint it embraces both theoretical and empirical/experimental work on these topics. The proseminar includes the preparation and presentation of a home assignment as well as taking part in the discussion during joint sessions. Learning and research strategies are to be conveyed, so that students are empowered to acquaint themselves with a scientific problem and read up on relevant literature. Furthermore, as a basis for the Bachelor Thesis / Diplomarbeit, students should become familiar with the independent composition of a scientific piece of work.
- The number of participants is restricted.
- To apply for this proseminar, please hand in the completed application form at the Institute for Risk Management and Insurance until September, 2nd 2011, 12 pm.
- Click here to download the application form.
- Please enclose a short curriculum vitae with photo and a transcript of your grades including the grades of the summer term 2012, if available (e.g. Kontoauszug des Prüfungsamts). The list of participants will be announced online and on the notice board of the Institute for Risk Management and Insurance on September, 12th 2011.
- Students of Business or Economics (Bachelor) with a specialization in “Finanzorientierte BWL” (BSc PO 2008).
- Students of Business (Bachelor) with a specialization in "Accounting & Finance" (BSc PO 2006).
- Students of financial mathmatics (Bachelor) with module WP 21 (Versicherungsbetriebslehre).
- Students (Hauptstudium) of financial mathematics (Diplom), minor in statistics or similar.
- All students must have either passed "Risiko und Versicherung" or "Versicherungsbilanzen (Vorlesung)" in order to be eligible for this seminar. The grades for "Risiko und Versicherung" are not yet available. Please indicate on the application form that you have attended this class.
- Obligatory kick-off meeting for the proseminar is on November 2nd, 2011, 2 pm - 3.30 pm, room 406, Schackstr. 4.
- The blocked proseminar is scheduled from January 29th to February 1st , 2012.
- 6 ECTS
- Type of examination: paper, presentation and discussion of another paper.
- Participating successfully in this seminar grants eligibility for writing a bachelor or diploma thesis at the Institute for Risk Management and Insurance.
Further information about the class can be found in the Syllabus.